How Come You Don't Call Me... Anymore?

It wasn't very long ago that Alicia Keys came out with "How Come You Don't Call Me" and I was feelin it and singing it at the top of my lungs wondering when some no good boy would call me. My how times change...it feels like nowadays the song should be more along the lines of "How Come You Call Me So Much?" Or "How Come You Don't Text Me?"

This conversation came up at Pimo's BBQ a few weeks ago. Her sister brought up some great points and I always thought I was the only one that felt that way but I guess not!

How much calling is too much calling? I personally don't want a guy calling me all the time. If I like him then once a day is more than enough and unless there's something wrong, I don't need to talk to you a few times a day. It just seems excessive and I feel like I could get a lot more done if I was doing something better like texting or emailing.

Has technology made us less sensitive or has it just made things easier? I mean I'd like to think I'm just as sensitive as I was before but now there are other ways for you to show me you care. I feel like it's made things easier. It's also a better way to gauge if someone is interested because it's so easy that if you can't manage to do that...there's no telling how many other ways u can fail. Lol (so dramatic I know)

I don't need a guy to call me all the time or even every day but send me a nice text to see how my day is going and you're gold. Very simple. If you think of me while you're on the line for lunch cuz you saw some curly fries and you send me a text...jackpot! Lol it might sound stupid...but it really is about the little things. Now do I want you to call me on your lunch break and talk to me about how you're gonna get curly fries cuz you thought of me? Nope...corny! I can't respond to that with an "lol you're silly" instead I'd just be silent on the other end like "ummm I gotta go" lol

Now in today's world it's highly likely both people will be busy with work and other things...you obviously shouldn't be too busy to see each other but you might just be too busy to have a full blown convo on the phone...this is when texting or emailing comes in handy. You could be running to a meeting or waiting on an email from work and sneak that nice little 2 second gesture in. Now if you have no time to send a text...that might be a problem.

Sometimes we don't want to admit that we prefer the "less personal yet more practical" way of staying in touch, but reality is times are changing. So even if I like you, if I have to opt for something that isn't face to face, I will choose writing over speaking. Just sayin!

6 comments:

Poker said...

I agree! It does make us sound complicated though. I remember in high school I used to get so excited if my bf left a note on my car, a text is an easier way to do that. Little notes that show he cares are always good and there is no need to discuss it via phone convo.

Love it!

Pimo said...

Love this line - 'Now do I want you to call me on your lunch break and talk to me about how you're gonna get curly fries cuz you thought of me? Nope...corny!' Hilaroius, yet so true. I text EVERYONE and honestly, sometimes I find it burdensome to call ppl.

tao said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tao said...

I may be the odd one here, lol...I feel like texting has made people less social. I remember when I used to talk to my gf's occasionally after work, but no one picks up the phone nowadays. Even on birthdays people text instead of picking up the phone. I personally don’t want someone to call me ALL the time, but maybe I'm just a sucker and/or a hopeless romantic, but I like it when my bf rings in. Texting is too impersonal. While at work, sometimes I’m too busy to look at my inbox or stare at my cell, so the only way I can briefly communicate is on the phone. Definitely prefer meeting someone than to chat on the phone or to have a whole conversation through text.

Hottie said...

i agree to an extent :) and i agree with Tao, texting, twittering, fb'n, myspace has def'ly made society less social...there has to be a healthy balance of personal face to face interaction and just texting and emailing.

Lacezilla said...

church.