Move Over Cinderella and Prince Charming!

Tuesday night I found myself on my bed, legs crossed, chin resting on clasped hands and a smile stuck on my face as I watched President Obama and the First Lady dancing at the Neighborhood Ball like I was a little girl watching Cinderella and Prince Charming. What a beautiful moment in time! Beyonce did a wonderful job as Etta James (minus the awkward blond hair she has in the movie) and she almost cried as she sang to the couple. Those of you that missed it, here it is in it's entirety so you understand what I'm talking about.



As I was watching I couldn't help but wonder, what's wrong with wanting that? It seems like we've been trained to want things that are less than great. Granted not everyone is Barack or Michelle, but why can't we admit that's what we're looking for?

It seems men aren't really allowed to say they are looking for love and God forbid a women say she is looking for marriage, both are considered big no no's and so the madness of dating begins. Now it's not to say that every man is looking for love or that every woman is looking for marriage but those who are, have to succumb to living in the closet with the winter coats and Christian gays as they go around dating aimlessly full of false hope and secrets.

I have a few friends who have already found their Prince Charming so I know it's possible. But there are plenty of cynics who will say "things aren't what they seem" or "nothing is that perfect". No one is saying the cynics aren't right, but why not accept someone for what they seem to be AND who they really are? That's part of the "magic" in the Disney movies. We just never saw the part where Cinderella is a nose picker and Prince Charming the notorious butt scratcher lol That doesn't take away from the fact that they were Cinderella and Prince Charming. Who knows what happens between the Barack and Michelle behind (white house) closed doors but why does it matter? You can't deny those two love each other.

I have no shame in my game, I'm looking for my President Obama!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have this video on my blog too! It was such a nice feeling to see them dancing! I sure hope I found my prince charming! LoL Time will tell.

Hottie said...

i'm lookin for my obama too! lol hey ive kissed a few frogs, and i'm not ready for marriage, but in the end i would love to have wat they have...even if he is a "notorious butt scratcher" lol. but i'm def'ly notscared to say this!

Flaca said...

I'm responding all late but I must have watched that dance like five times in a row. I don't know if it was Beyonce's voice or the yay they looked at each other, but I got goosebumps every time I watched it. that is exactly the feeling I want from ppl when I'm dancing my first song w/ my prince charming. :)